Thursday, December 16, 2010

Vienna- Take One

Saturday December 4, 2010

I drove to Vienna from Tabor with my Czech friends Iva and Martin Saturday morning.  We left on this snowy morning and drove the 3.5 hours to Vienna.  We met Iva's sister and two of her friends at a flat that we would be staying at.  Lucka (Iva's sister) went to university in Vienna and a former professor/friend has an "extra" flat in Vienna that she offered us to stay at.  The flat was about 15 minutes outside the center city center and a perfect location to relax and enjoy the ambiance of Vienna.

Saturday afternoon we went to a museum to see Frida Kahlo's art exhibit.  Luckily I had watched her movie so I had an understanding of her life, experiences, and inspirations for her artwork.  Without seeing the video, I don't know if I would have appreciated the exhibit as much.

After the exhibit, we enjoyed a traditional Austrian dinner and partook in the traditional holiday drink, Pousch.  It was ABSOLUTELY freezing in Vienna and I definitely was not dressed appropriately.  My hands were on the verge of hypothermia along with my legs, toes, and every other part of my body.  The hot Pousch definitely was a welcome support to slightly overcoming the deep freeze.

We were able to see many of the historic sights and take in the Christmas Markets.  They are definitely worth visiting and experiencing at least once in your life.  We don't have Christmas Markets like Europe does in Washington state (at least to this magnitude) so it was a new experience for me.





At Albertina








During my near freezing to death time, I was able to find warmth in a little bit of home :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment