Saturday, July 9, 2011

Dresden, Germany

July 6-7, 2011

After Berlin, I ventured my way back home to Tabor with a night/day in Dresden, Germany.  I had heard some great things about Dresden and I was excited to check out this artsy, alternative city.  I arrived around 5 pm, and checked into my hostel.  The clouds were starting to accumulate so I headed to the historic section to see all the sights.  The historic area is very beautiful and as you turn narrow streets, you find yourself in numerous market squares.  There were a lot of people sitting outside enjoying coffee or having dinner.  I had such a cool amazing moment. I realized and breathed in the fact that I was in Dresden, in a cool small city, enjoying life.  The moment was sooo cool that I had to call my Aunt Mary Jane to share the moment with her.  Words cannot even express how wonderful life was at that moment.  I was in such deep appreciation of the moment and I just wanted to share that with someone.

Here are some of the highlights of historic area of Dresden:

After my exploration of the historic area, I head in the opposite direction to the artist/student area.  Dresden is full on many artist and students that have embraced the city.  It was described to me as "colorful" in an unique way and I was impressed with the individuality of the part of town, funky shops, and awesome outdoor pubs/restaurants.  I found a little hole in the wall pizza restaurant and had the best mushroom pizza I have had in a long time...I would even risk saying that the pizza was much better than the Italian pizza I had in Rome.
  After dinner, I headed back to the hostel for some much needed rest. The next morning came quickly and I got up and headed back to the artist section I had been at the night before.  I did a little clothes shopping in some of the funky stores and bought some cool clothes that I am excited to wear when I get back home to America.

Dresden is definitely a city that I want to go back to when I have some more time.  I am a little bummed that I didn't have more time to spend in Dresden and that I hadn't gone there sooner.  It is only a 2 hour train ride from Prague and I am happy I got to see it at least once.














No comments:

Post a Comment